Sunday, June 9, 2013

Week 2: Getting more used to all this

I broke my promise. I said I wouldn't wait a week to put up my next post but here I am, a week later :/ Better step my game up.
Last time I said there was more I wanted to talk about. I think what I wanted to mention was the whole transition period. Honestly, that first week wasn't easy! I felt a little overwhelmed and lost in a big city, and not having a big group of friends you know well definitely makes a difference. You're on your own, and that feels kind of weird. But the weekend after the first week was really helpful. I was able to go to church in Berlin, and it was really good to be around something familiar. It turns out, they have a service in German, then one in English, then one in Spanish–all three of the languages I speak! I made it to the end of the German one and stayed for all of the English service. I plan on going to the Spanish one next Saturday and can't wait!
After church I met up with some other Michigan students who are also in the internship program and we went to Kreuzberg, a part of Berlin with a lot of young people and street art. It's a pretty interesting place! We walked by the East Side Gallery, which is a portion of the old Berlin Wall. It is now a gallery full of paintings themed around freedom. It's pretty cool!

We later all went to an Indian restaurant. That's an interesting thing about here–I actually haven't seen many restaurants serving German food. Everything seems to be ethnic–a lot of Thai food, Italian, Turkish, even Mexican which I am very curious to try here. But I've actually only had German food once since I've been here!
But anyways, that weekend was cool. And the following week was a lot better. I'm getting more used to things here. I've gotten the transportation system nailed down, at least with the S-Bahn and U-Bahn. That definitely makes me feel less lost (and literally get lost less). I'm a little more comfortable around work too–I can't really speak much because of the language. Also, since the kids have a lot of recess and free time, I'm usually watching them most of the time. Sometimes that feels like I'm not doing much, so I go and play with the kids and practice my German with them.
I'd promise to post something soon again, but I'll avoid the risk of breaking a promise. I definitely will try to though!

No comments:

Post a Comment