Sunday, June 2, 2013

First Week in Berlin

I've been in Berlin for a little more than a week now. There's a lot to talk about but I'll try to be concise!

After an almost five hour delay in Detroit, the plane finally left for Amsterdam. The delay was actually a little helpful for me in calming down and not being so nervous. I had to wait a couple hours in Amsterdam because the delay made me miss the transfer, but it was all good and I made it to Berlin. Then when I was getting ready to get off the plane, I met two other students who are also in Cultural Vistas (the internship program that brought us to Germany). It was really helpful because then we could all go to the hotel together and I didn't have to worry about getting lost.

Orientation was good and helped prepare me for what was coming ahead. They warned about culture shock, which I hadn't really expected to get, but this week I have. It's taking some time for me to adjust, but I am–slowly but surely. Last Sunday I figured out how to get to work. I'm really glad I did because it took hours to figure out and I avoided being late the first day of work! Now that I've gone several times, it's actually really simple and a lot quicker.

My first day of work was great. Actually, before I write any more about it, I should talk about what my internship actually is! Like I said, I'm interning at Allegro Grundschule, which is an elementary school located in the middle of Berlin. The majority of its students have immigrated from other countries, or their parents have. The school offers all day care to the students, and I am there most of the day helping with homework and watching/playing with them during recess. I am also helping a little with translating for parents and students who do not speak German.

I work with a class of students grades 1-3, and I really enjoy the kids! I like kids, but I've never been a person who absolutely loves them. Honestly, I've worked with kids enough to know that they make you so happy and you become attached to them–but they also make you exhausted and frustrated at times. But this time it's been different. The kids make me feel so much more at ease. I still feel like an outsider at work because I'm new and because I don't speak German as well as I'd like, but the kids like me and will ask me to play with them. They even help me with my German :-)

I have more to say but I think that's all I'll write for today. Otherwise this will be a very very long post. I'll write again tomorrow, or maybe even later today. I promise I won't wait a week this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment